Wednesday, March 11, 2015

You won't hear...you won't see...but...

The real world can be a ‘you know what’ at times! It's been one week to the day since I have reentered the daily routines of life in this crazy world, and I am ready to stand up, walk out and give it all back. One would think after a week a half away, I would be energized, focused and ready to take the bull by its horns. And perhaps I was. But sometimes it doesn't take long for this world to knock the wind out of your sails. Life is no cake walk--we all know that, and if you are like me, at times, you wish to throw your hands up in the air and scream, "why bother."

But deep down in my soul, I long for more. I long to make a difference, to use the days that I am given to make this world a little bit better--to share hope, to extend love and grace, to fight for justice.
But it's not always easy and it often gets messy.

This week I have been reading the story of Elisha. In 2 Kings chapter 3 it begins by telling the story of three kings who come together and venture off to fight for justice. I can only imagine them starting this "mission." I am sure they are eager, willing to stop at nothing in the name of what is good and right, to follow their calling come hell or high water. But if you keep reading, only 7 days into their journey, despair sets in. Their plan is derailed, hardships arise and they start to wonder why has God lead them thus far just to be defeated. (aka--they were in the middle of the dessert and had ran out of water.) This is where Elisha comes in. A prophet. A man of ridiculous faith. And he shares with the kings these words from God:

Dig ditches all over this valley. Here's what will happen--you won't hear the wind, you won't see the rain but this valley is going to fill up with water.

You won't hear...
or see...
....but!

Reading this story and thinking over my past week, it's a great reminder that only God can send the water, and only I can dig the ditches.

Digging ditches is hard work.
And messy.
And exhausting.
And at times I want to throw down the shovel.

Perhaps you know what I'm talking about.
Maybe you've been there too.

Maybe you have followed that calling into the deep waters. You've taken that leap of faith. You have stepped out of the boat, and now, you wonder--can I keep my eyes above the waves. Is the weight of this all going to get lighter? Is God going to show up? Is justice going to find its way? Will my faith stand?

I encourage you, and remind myself.....Don't quit, because:

You won't hear....
You won't see.....
But God will.....

In closing, I will share my life verse. Read in. Lean into it. And trust that in His perfect timing, the harvest will be worth it all.

"So we must not get tired of doing good, for we will reap at the proper time if we don't give up."
Galatians 6:9

No comments:

Post a Comment