Saturday, February 1, 2014

I Shall Not Want


I have been working through the book of Exodus these past few weeks (a fascinating read). It’s the story of God’s chosen people being lead out of a life of slavery into a life of fulfillment in the Promise Land. A story that should exude celebration, hope and thanksgiving. But as I flipped the pages I read more about fear, and doubt and complaining. If I am honest, it was very easy at times to read this story and to judge the faithlessness of God’s chosen people. 

As I sat under the dim light of the early morning hours today, the words of Audrey Assad became my prayer:

From the love of my own comfort
From the fear of having nothing
From a life of worldly passions 
Deliver me O God

From the need to be understood
From the need to be accepted
From the fear of being lonely
Deliver me O God
Deliver me O God

And I shall not want, I shall not want
When I taste Your goodness I shall not want
When I taste Your goodness I shall not want

From the fear of serving others
From the fear of death or trial
From the fear of humility
Deliver me O God
Deliver me O God

And I shall not want, I shall not want
When I taste Your goodness I shall not want
When I taste Your goodness I shall not want


Like the Israelites, I too at times cling to my comforts, cling to my worldly passions, cling to what I know, and when they start to slip away, I too have fears and doubts and I often tend to complain. 

Deliver me O God. And when I taste your goodness, I shall not want. Deliver me O God.

Listen here: I shall Not Want

No comments:

Post a Comment