Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Hey YOU, some Valentine Day thoughts.

Dear You,

It's impossible for me to go through my day and not think of you. Like this morning, I saw one of those red heart helium balloons and was immediately taken back to our last Nerf gun battle, watching you read my "rules of engagement" and seeing that childlike grin spread across your face. Whenever I spot a "tweetie" on 95, I remember those days we would rush home to see who had counted the most and would be deemed champion. And when Blackbird by the Beatles or Better Together by Jack Johnson play through my speakers I am reminded of text messages and road trips. When I get a craving for Mexican, it's your face I envision at the other end of the table, and when a bad day has been served or an enlightening thought erupts, you are the one I want to pick up the phone and talk to. When I am feeling adventurous and desire to push against the boundaries of comfort, you are the partner in crime I choose, and when thoughts of the future invade my today, it's you who I want to do the dreaming with. You, my dear have been woven into the workings of my life!

As Valentine's day approaches and I reflect on "us" Ecclesiastes 4:12 comes to mind. "A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken." In my understanding, this verse isn't complicated, but I never knew how to walk it out. Our journey has helped me to realize that despite how amazing you (and you are) or how lovable I am, the fact stands that if He did not love first, our story would be drastically different and short lived. Standing back-to-back with you is a blessing I hope you know I do not take for granted. But even more so, I lack the words to express my gratitude that He loved first-that He has faithfully guided us into a deeper understanding of how to love one another and how to build our relationship where He is what holds it together. I know that we do not and will not always get this right, but it's my prayer that as our lives continue to be woven together, that we seek Him first and that we let him be the cord that makes us into something strong and beautiful.

"We love each other because he loved us first." 1 John 4:19

Here's to a lovely Valentine's Day :)
Love,
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment