Thursday, July 4, 2013

Freedom


The Declaration of Independence of 1776 is one of the most important documents we hold dear to in the good ‘ole U.S. of A. 

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”

Our laws and what we believe we celebrate today, the 4th of July, have not always seen eye to eye. It’s taken almost 200 years for slaves to taste freedom, for women to no longer feel inferior, and for African Americans to see that they too are equal. Our fight for every American to taste Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness is far from over. 

In our schools we will continue to fight for those kids who fall through the cracks. In our streets we will continue to battle the disease of apathy towards the homeless. In our offices we will continue to break through the glass ceilings. In our neighborhoods we will  continue to wrestle the beast of discrimination. And in our churches we will continue to work through the tension that regardless of orientation, all who are called by God to serve may find that open door. 

I awoke this morning (way too early for my day off, by the way) with “freedom” on my mind. I tried to convince myself to shut my mind off, to roll over and steal a few more hours of sleep, but soon found myself up and at ‘em.

You know, for some, the American rights we hope to live in each and everyday, may always be an up hill journey. We will struggle with feeling inferior, second class and less than par, but this journey by no means discounts what freedoms we do live in and the cost they demanded. 

As I wrapped my mind around today, Independence day and my little corner of the world, I found my way to Galatians. 

It was in this book of Truth, that I found the reminder of where my true freedom lies. The politics and laws of this country will always provided some limited means to freedom, but as Paul says in Galatians 5:1 it is Christ, my Savior who has truly set us free, and it’s my responsibility to stay in that generous, open handed freedom that will never be restricted by the law.

May we all walk through today with true freedom on our minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment