Monday, November 26, 2012

Dear Santa, thank you for my momma and daddyo!

"Our hearts grew tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime."   -Laura Ingalls Wilder
My parents did not do everything right, and they would be the first to tell you so. Things were not always perfect in our house, but despite the imperfections I am still enamored with my childhood. My parents had the uncanny ability of cultivating this magic that every child should be familiar with. And it's around the holiday season, that this childlike magic becomes life to me again. (Even though I am well beyond the years of listening for Santa's bells as I drift asleep.)

Christmas as a family, is very different for us these days. The kids have grown up, some have moved away and we have all have begun creating new traditions for our own families. The challenge of clearing calendars and making the time to all gather around the same Christmas tree seems to grow harder with each passing year. Even though I am sure there is some element of disappointment when we all can't be together Christmas morning, I hope my parents can see that the magic they generously gave us as little ankle bitters carries on to this day in our own unique ways.

From little green goodies on St. Patrick Day to Robin Egg stuffed Easter Baskets to hidden bikes from Santa Claus to Pumpkin patch visits and homemade roasted pumpkin seeds to James Center Christmas lights and Chevy Chase's Christmas vacation . . . Momma and Daddyo, thank you for letting us be kids, and filling our lives and memories with a magic that many children miss out on. Thank you for a childhood that I can look back on, and despite moments I wish were not there, overall, I get bombarded with the memories where I felt loved and known and special.

And it carries on . . .



Just seeing a box labeled "Xmas Lites" excited my brother so much he could resist throwing them up mid-summer:

Halloween just isn't the same without carved pumpkins and roasted seeds!


And easter needs ears and a basket!  




The little bro's 2012 Holiday decor:
A simple affair at my abode this year:



And just a few MUSTs:






No comments:

Post a Comment