Thursday, September 13, 2012

Philippians 2:13

What if???

It's a question I have been asking myself a lot lately.


I wrote not too long ago about an opportunity to speak and to serve a group of women later this fall. In answering the call to do so and leaning into the truth, that God will provide all that's needed, the "what if questions" still seemed to sneak onto my front porch and have been knocking at my door daily.


"What if I fail?"
"What if I'm not good at it?"
"What if the time is not enough?"
"What if I can't breathe?"
"What if, what if, what if?"

In hopes to find His still small whisper to drown out the knocking, I found myself in the following scriptures this week:

1 Peter 4:10
God has given each of you a gift from His great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another.

In 1 Peter, I was reminded that as Christ followers we are called to serve. To serve others, our friends, our family, our co workers, the guy on the street corner, the lady at the cashier, whoever crosses our path. "What can I do for you?" is a question we must ask to whoever comes in our day. And as I asked God, this week, "what can I do for You?" it has been a question that has gotten me into a position of readiness, for this upcoming talk and for the opportunity to be His hands and feet to others.

Ephesians 2:10
For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.

Ephesians has reminded me that God had this path already marked out for me. He went before me long ago and made this way for me. So, this week, I have found some swag, I am clinging to that promise, that I can walk this road with purpose, confident that God is in it, that God has prepared it, knowing that God has words for it and that He is with me. God already knew He was going to speak to these women, to touch their lives, and He just offered me the choice to walk with Him or to watch from the sidelines.

With that being said, it has been in the light of His Word and in the silent moments of prayer that I discovered, perhaps I have been asking the wrong "what if questions."

"What if God wants to use my story to soften the heart of someone who will be in that room Friday night or Saturday morning?"
"What if God wants to change somebody's life by a simple act of service?"
"What if God has a place in community that is desperately needed on the other side of this act of service?"
"What if God wants to remind you of His faithfulness on the other side of this step of obedience?"
"What if, what if, what if?"

It's so easy to do---to ask the "what if's" on this side of obedience. See 1 Peter 4:10 and Ephesians 2:10 guide us into the calling of being a servant for Christ, but our "what if questions" of the world stop us from focusing on the "God does", the "God can", and the "God will".

And then today,

Philippians 2:13
For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases Him.

Oh, what peace has filled my heart over giving this talk. It's has been, in getting my perspective corrected, my focus readjusted, that this mysterious excitement to share what He has given me, now resides in my soul. (Don't get me wrong, the nerves haven't vanished, but in comparison, they seem less oppressive) It's Philippians 2:13. He is working, in my life and He is asking to use me (which is another mystery in itself) to reach His beloved. And it's when you get a glimpse of that, how Mysteriously Wonderful our God is, that the desire mentioned in the verse above takes over.

No comments:

Post a Comment