Thursday, June 28, 2012

God is able!

I am a fixer. My initial reaction to many circumstances in this life, be it my own or those I love, is to throw on the construction hat, pick up the tool belt and offer my limited abilities to fix whatever situation lies before. However, the more I open my eyes to the problems of this world, to the hurdles that creep into my own life, and to the obstacle courses that face the ones I love; I have come to realize that most everything I want to fix is beyond my means of doing so.

I have tried time and time again to scramble and force the square pegs of solutions into the round holes of my problems. I have seen those who I love more than they will ever know, settle for the answer of a reckless cycle of devastation as a fix to escape the hardships this life, and I have witnessed far to many, including myself, that have chosen that path of least resistance as an answer that leads to no higher ground of resolution.

It isn't my J.O.B. to be the handyman. I am not asked to be the one who swoops in an saves the day. I am not equipped to be the one who reaches into the depths of the dark pits of this world and pull out the destitute souls. And for me, at times, this realization can be frustrating. I do not like feeling helpless. I do not like watching friends walk a self destructive path. I do not like to see loved ones give up or turn to denial in situations that appear hopeless. And I do not like that sometimes; I just can't fix my own ordeals.

This week, in moments where the fixer in me was screaming to do something. Where the tears flowed and the cry of my heart poured out, I remembered.

I am not the fixer.

Last night, I was finally able to let go of the frustration, I was able to get on my knees and carry it to the One who can, to the one who is able.

I traded in frustration for freedom. I laid down the cries of "I can't . . ." and picked up the truth of "He can . . ."

You see, I can' fix it. But I do have a active part in the solution---getting on my knees and leaning into a God who is able . . .

Who is able to break cycles
Who is able to soften hard hearts
Who is able to heal deep wounds
Who is able to show forgiveness
Who is able to piece together the broken
Who is able to loosen the chains of addiction
Who is able to guard innocent hearts
Who is able to offer a new life

He is able, and this morning I found myself in His word where the reminder of that truth isn't hidden.

2 Timothy 1:12 God is able to keep that which I have committed to Him until that day
Ephesians 3:20 God is able to do super-abundantly above all that we ask or think
Jude 24 God is able to keep you from falling and present you blameless before His throne with exceeding joy
Philippians 3:21 God is able to change this lowly body to be like his glorious body by the power He uses to subject all things to Himself
Romans 14: 4 God is able to make His servant stand so His servant will stand for Him
Romans 16:25 God is able to make you stand firm in your faith according to the Gospel
Hebrews 7:25 God is able to save the uttermost those who come to Him through Christ, because He always lives to intercede for them
God is able!

A good reminder that whatever I am, you are, or the Joe Smith down the street is facing in this life, God is more than able . . .and willing to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment