Thursday, January 26, 2012

This past weekend, I had the privilege of spending 3 days in NYC. For those of you who don't really know me. I love New York City, and everything about it. I feed off the nonstop energy, off the diverse cultures, and the multitudes of people. I love riding the metro and overhearing conversations in different languages. I love sitting in the quaint bagels shops and observing the streets come to life. I love the music of mediocre musicians, who struggle to make it in a over saturated, talent filled city, fill the streets. I love NYC!
 
Perhaps, it is where I am currently in life, or that I have escaped the self absorbed years of my youth, but there were things in NYC that I never noticed before. The people. Their faces. Their stories. Their lives. As I rode the metro, I would just stare. I saw faces full of laugher and full of life. To be honest those faces were rare. And my guess is that they belonged to the folks who were just passing through. Who had left their lives and their baggage back wherever they came from, and forgot that it would be waiting there when they returned. Many faces were preoccupied, numb, and lifeless. There were some annoyed faces, some exhausted faces and some faces that I yearned to just hug. This trip, I saw people, I saw God's people. People who are loved. Who have a purpose. Who are desired and cherished. And I saw a lot of people who have no clue of such truths.
 
One of the coolest things about this trip was being with folks who shared the common bond of faith. Who saw these people too. Who prayed over these people too. Who longed to be used in sharing God's love to these people too.
 
I would like to say some seeds were planted, that somehow life's were touched by these strange kids from VA, but I don't really know. I just trust that our prayers were heard. Our prayers were felt. And that God will continue to seek after His lost sheep.
 
NYC was great, and I still have a special bond with that place, but it's not much different than home. Home is a lot quieter, a lot simpler, yet it too is filled with faces, filled with people who don't know how dearly they are loved. I use to dream of living in NYC, and part of me still desires that. But a majority of my heart knows I am exactly where I am called to be. Called to love the people of Powhatan, called to serve the people of Midlothian, and called to share God's grace to the people of Richmond. May my heart's desire never tire of loving those who God loves.

1 John 4:19 "We love because He first loved us."

1 comment: