Monday, October 3, 2011

Love the Poor and Serve the Needy from Grace every Day

My thoughts from Beth's post Love the Poor and Serve the needy


"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it."
 ---Stephen Colbert

Wow!

I read this last night before I went to bed and just can not stop thinking about these words.

It stirs so many thoughts, so many emotions, so many questions.

There are so many arguments, so many excuses to why we don't or do, why we should or shouldn't help those in need.

To be honest, at first I wanted to stand on my soap box, share the stories of men and woman who I've met in Monroe Park, down on Hull Street, or the widow who lives on Libbie Ave.

But I can't.

I can't because I remember too many times where I just didn't want to do it. I remember too many times when my life seemed more important than someone else's. I remember the times where it was inconvenient or would require too much energy to do it. I remember too many times where I said no thank you to His calling.

I understand that part of that is being human, we aren't Superman or Shera, we can't do it all---and we are not asked to do it all. But we are asked to follow the convictions of our hearts, to give generously, love unconditionally, and to put other's needs above our own. I don't always do this well.

I am humbled by a Savior who was able to do it perfectly. He set the example of how to love. He led the way for us to follow. He provides the strength to reach beyond ourselves. He offers the grace when we don't. He allows us, broken, screwed up people, to be a part of His beautiful plan.  He provides the blessings he wants us to bless others with. And He is the joy and peace that overflows us when we follow Him.

May we strive for boldness.
May we learn to be brave.

May we love God.
May we love people.
And may we do something about it.

2 comments:

  1. I waited a day to let this soak in...still, woman, you do plenty!!! He knows that you are human, and to err is human, is it not? I think that God is just letting you know that there is a whole lot more out there to do! So don't let up, encourage others to join in with your humanization program for the Poor. Don't tell others about your stories, encourage others to write their own!!! Above all, don't let the devil discourage you, that's how he starts turning you away from God!!!!!!
    The only thing that your prayer at the end needs is...AMEN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is incredible, just incredible!

    ReplyDelete